Drug addiction is a medical illness, but it’s also a mental health condition, a lifestyle issue, and an affliction with the power to undermine your relationships, career, and even spiritual well-being. Holistic addiction treatment endeavors to treat the whole person, rather than just seeing the person as a collection of his or her symptoms. GetRehab.info helps drug addicts in Washington, Utah, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and across the United States find the holistic addiction treatment services they need.
What is Holistic Addiction Treatment?
For many people, the term holistic addiction treatment calls to mind visions of bizarre healing rituals, lots of crystals, and strange religious rites. Holistic addiction treatment isn’t about coming up with the weirdest approach possible, though. Instead, holistic treatments for addictions are those designed to treat the whole person. For instance, when a doctor recommends that an overweight person work on her self-esteem before trying to lose weight, he is engaged in holistic treatment because he is addressing the whole person, as well as the underlying cause.
Holistic addiction treatments run the gamut from tried-and-true options, such as exercise for depression, to more experimental approaches, such as recommending herbal supplements. A handful of proven holistic treatments for addiction include:
- Good sleep hygiene
- Nutritional strategies
- The use of stress management tools
- Developing new hobbies and activities
- Community support
- Family education programs
Why Should I Try Holistic Addiction Treatment?
Holistic treatment for addiction is highly effective. Rather than standing in opposition to traditional drug rehab tactics, holistic medicine is actually a complement to these addiction treatments. Consequently, many doctors refer to holistic methods as complementary medicine. Thus holistic addiction treatments aren’t replacements for standard drug and alcohol rehab, but rather, serve as options for increasing these treatments’ efficacy.
Some of the benefits of holistic addiction treatments include:
- Improved self-esteem and mental health
- Better relationships
- A reduced risk of substance abuse relapse
- Fewer cravings
- Fewer difficulties with quitting
- A stronger commitment to sobriety
- Achieving your sobriety-related goals
- Forgiving yourself for the mistakes you made when you were a drug addict
- Developing better coping mechanisms for dealing with life’s challenges
- Learning how to cope with pain and psychological distress without relying on drugs or alcohol
How to Choose Holistic Addiction Treatment Options
Anyone can all themselves a holistic practitioner, and many drug rehab facilities capitalize on trends in holistic medicine by labeling themselves as holistic – even when they offer few or nor holistic treatment options for addictions. Thus it’s important to be a critical consumer of holistic remedies. Not only must you verify that the place you’ve chosen actually practices holistic medicine; you should also ensure that the holistic approaches the facility uses for addiction treatment are scientifically proven. Likewise, you’ll want to know what these approaches are.
Every good drug rehab facility is eager to share the good work it’s doing, so don’t shy away from asking lots of pointed questions. Before selecting any holistic addiction treatment facility, consider asking, at minimum, the following:
- What specific addiction treatment protocols do you use? Can you explain the steps of these protocols to me in detail?
- Do you have documentation showing the validity of the drug and alcohol treatments you use?
- What is a typical day like at your addiction treatment facility?
- What makes you a holistic treatment facility for addictions? How are you different from more traditional drug rehab facilities?
- Do you offer traditional medical care, or only holistic addiction treatment?
- What training, education, and certifications do your staff members have?
- What happens if I disagree with an addiction treatment you suggest, or if I don’t like my counselor?
- How long will substance abuse treatment take, and how can I tell if it’s working?
- What is your holistic addiction treatment facility’s biggest strength?
- How do you balance traditional and holistic remedies?
- Do you rely on a specific spiritual, religious, or philosophical approach?
- Will I need to change my diet?
- Will I need to follow a specific daily routine? How much time does that routine demand?
- What if I have trouble getting along with other people at your holistic addiction treatment facility?
How GetRehab.info Helps
GetRehab.info knows that, in the age of the Internet, just about anyone can call themselves a holistic practitioner. We cut through the mess of inflated claims and gimmicks to bring you listings for the best holistic drug and alcohol treatment facilities in the country. We help you access holistic drug rehab services near your home – or the location of your choosing. But it doesn’t end there. We know there’s much you can learn from others experiences. Our review feature encourages drug addicts to honestly and openly share their experiences. In so doing, you’ll help fellow drug addicts choose the right addiction treatment facility at the same time that those addicts help you determine if the place you’re considering is the right fit.
Critical thinking is a hallmark of holistic addiction treatment, and it’s also something we at GetRehab.info prize. We know that what works for one person doesn’t always work for the next. For this reason, we believe that educated consumers are uniquely situated to make excellent addiction treatment decisions. We offer you a frequently updated library detailing the latest in the world of drug and alcohol addiction. We hope our resources will help you learn more about yourself, enable you to begin the conversation about substance abuse with your family, and help you figure out which drug rehab options will work best with your life.
The first step is admitting you have a drug problem. But when you’re ready to take those tentative baby steps toward addiction recovery, GetRehab.info can help expedite the process. We’ll help you partner with first-rate drug addiction experts who meet you where you are. With a little help from us, you really can do this.